A dear friend of mine said that the only vote that counts is the one that goes into the ballot box. I told him that if he believes that, he is naive. He was hurt.
I walked away because I was called to other venues. Nevertheless, here's why I believe that he is naive:
1. Grover Norquist votes every time someone who signed his "contract" votes.
2. Jamie Dimond votes every time someone to whom who his group has contributed $1,000,000 dollars votes...and there are many
3. The Koch brothers vote every time someone they support votes...and there are many
4. Every time someone who is supported by Big Pharma votes...Big Pharma votes too
5. Every time someone who is supported by Big Comm votes...Big Comm votes too
6. Every time someone who is supported by Big Oil votes...Big Oil votes too
7. Every time someone who is suported by Big Agri votes...Big Agri votes too
I don't have to go on. You and I know that we are being out-voted. Every time a vote is announced in the House or the Senate, the money flows and so goes the, money, so goes the vote. Why?
Easy. Job security. The elected need to run for election. So the bribery system in the United States is constructed around the "Campaign Contribution." Your elected "representatives" do not represent you, they represent themselves and their families so that they can continue to be employed. Yes, this is true. Every politician is bought and paid for... and not in the ballot box.
So, we have the grand total of one vote and those who can afford to buy the politicians can vote every time their puppet votes.
I do not belong to a political party. I have staunchly refused to join a union. I vote in every election because I want to assure my right to express my opinion about the results of the election. I do know that all politicians are immoral. If you don't vote, shut up. If you vote, we can talk, but don't try to bullshit me.